Recently appointed Executive Chef Christina DeSilva announces her first menu since taking leadership in the kitchen at Taproom on 19th. The new menu features upscale pub fare, bar snacks, must-try entrees and desserts, and includes several vegetarian options. Taproom on 19th is located at 2400 South 19th Street. For more information about Christina, the new menu or other exciting things to come, visit www.taproomon19th.com, call 267-687-7817, follow @TaproomOn19th or like Tap Room on 19th on Facebook.
DeSilva’s new menu is available now seven days a week for lunch and dinner service. Her inspiration is “upscale stoner food” that fuses common bar snack favorites with not so common ingredients. “I like to source local Pennsylvania farms for all my beautiful produce. When sourcing proteins I look for the highest quality to compliment the fresh produce. Having creative, high quality, items that you wouldn't find at every bar is what makes us a destination. Thank you Pat lafrieda, 1732 meats, and Green Meadow farm. Using the high quality ingredients and my creativity to transform them is what really makes my menu shine.”
Menu highlights include:
- Malted brown butter sage milkshake with brûléed figs for $7 (add bourbon $3)
- Venison chili with chihuahua cheese and homemade “Fritos” for $12
- Shrimp tostadas topped with black beans, bacon, pickled jalapeno and guacamole for $11
- Charred brussel sprouts with farro, prosciutto and morello cherries for $9
- Mac and cheese with fontina and cheddar cheese, pepperoni, house-braised tomatoes and herbed breadcrumbs for $11
- Cool ranch fries with chipotle-lime mayo for $5
- Greek salad with arugula, onion, kalamata olives, feta and red wine vinaigrette for $8 (add chicken $3)
- Pork belly cuban with swiss cheese, housemade pickles, red onion and horseradish for $13
- Bonzo burger, which consists of garbanzo beans, black quinoa, feta, cumin and cilantro yogurt for $12
- Chicken cordon bleu sandwich with ham, mozzarella, djon and fried egg for $13
- Crispy eggplant sandwich topped with hummus and tabbouleh for $12
- Seasonal parfait made with golden raisins, cranberry, lemon curd, walnuts, pistachios and granola for $7
As a new Executive Chef, DeSilva strives for perfection in her craft, "Looking back at all I have accomplished makes me proud, but working in the food industry there is always more to learn and perfect. That is what keeps me coming back for more. There is never a dull moment when your blood is not racing. I am incredibly happy to call the Taproom home where I'm free to express my creativity with the backing of an amazing team."
DeSilva is proud to join the growing ranks of other female chefs and leading ladies that are cooking and taking leadership roles in restaurants around the city. She is a graduate of JNA Institute of Culinary Arts where she secured an externship with alumnus Elijah Milligan at Stateside on East Passyunk Avenue. Chef Milligan not only gave her the chance to work in one of the city's most regarded restaurants, but he also molded her into a skilled chef. After Stateside, DeSilva worked at Morgan's Pier under Chef David Gilberg before reuniting with Chef Milligan again at Taproom on 19th.
DeSilva is a 21-year-old Pennsylvania native originally hails from Lansdale, PA and moved into the city three years ago. She loves Philadelphia and has a great appreciation for art, music, culture and, especially, good food. In her spare time, she likes to get out to explore and find inspiration in the city's thriving dining scene. Her appreciation for food comes from her amazing Sicilian family. Growing up with a daily meal with her family was part of her routine - and on holidays the extended family would come over and cook up a feast that was nothing short of spectacular. Now DeSilva is the one cooking for her family on holidays and special occasions, putting her twists on Italian classics.
In the new year, look for a new bar menu, new brunch menu, chef collaborations, special events and other developments at Taproom on 19th. In the meantime, Executive Christina DeSilva looks forward to meeting you at the Taproom and hopes you will come hungry.
ABOUT TAPROOM ON 19TH
On November 8, 2013, current owners and longtime friends Michael Strauss and Pete Fry opened the doors to Taproom on 19th. The pair revamped the South Philadelphia staple into a top destination for local and seasonal upscale pub fare as well as an impressive bar selection featuring 14 rotating taps of craft beer (including a cask engine), a classic cocktail menu, a knowledgeable staff and a warm environment. With Strauss being the driving force behind the overall food style and Fry putting his extensive knowledge of craft beer into play, they brought on some of Philadelphia’s best young talent in Chef Christina De Silva, Sous Chris Myers, and Bar Manager Brian Padgett to complete the team. The Taproom is open seven days a week from 11:00am to 2:00am with lunch, dinner and weekend brunch service. For more information, visit www.taproomon19th.com, call 267-687-7817 or follow @TaproomOn19th.