Clean Air Council’s 9th Annual Greenfest Philly returns to Headhouse Square (2nd and South Streets) on Sunday, September 7, 2014 from 10:00am to 4:00pm. The tri-state region’s largest environmental festival is bigger than ever with live music, free demos, an outdoor beer garden, organic food and drinks, handmade and green shopping, MOM’s Organic Market Kids’ Corner, a twenty-five foot rock wall, and even edible bugs. Admission is free. Festival “Green Cards” are also on sale at www.greenfestphilly.org for $30 that includes food and drink discounts, a free t-shirt, and eco-friendly swag. For more information, visit the website, call 215-567-4004, and follow @greenfestphilly on Twitter.
“Greenfest is an important festival because we celebrate all things happening in our city to promote sustainability and we reaffirm our commitment to a positive future,” said Joseph Otis Minott, Esq., Executive Director. “It gives me an optimistic view to see these wonderful ideals in thousands of attendees, and I love to see the passion that Philadelphians have for our environment. Philadelphia has a lot to be proud of.”
Now in its ninth year, this popular event will provide a unique opportunity for 10,000-20,000 attendees to learn how to live life a little greener and healthier. Festivities will include live music from popular local bands, MOM’s Organic Market kid’s corner with eco-friendly crafts and music, organic food and drinks, a beer garden, handmade goods, innovative green businesses and products, a celebration of local sustainability innovators, ways to take action for clean air, and much more. Alongside that fun, 150+ sponsors, local businesses, supporters and vendors will help transform Headhouse Square into a festive, fun and educational outdoor marketplace.
- Shop for eco-friendly fashion, beauty, and home goods – including SteelCore organic workout wear, Soapbox Holistic soaps, and Glad Dog Nation recycled dog toys.
- Purchase one of a kind handmade art and crafts from eco-artisans such as Beaucycled upcycled jewelry and accessories, and Urban Textile Works prints.
- Enjoy a tasty surprise as you sample edible bugs including crickets on crackers and chocolate brownies made with flour made from ground bugs.
- Win exciting prizes like a Trek bike from Philadelphia Insurance Companies to make commuting greener AND more fun.
- Become educated and take action on critical environmental issues from leading advocacy groups.
- Pick up a free Philadelphia blue recycling bin for your home or office.
- Leave your ‘wheels’ with the complimentary bike valet courtesy of Philadelphia Insurance Companies.
- Clean out your closets and bring your clothing, accessories, toys, books and more to the Philly Swap at Greenfest Philly. Bring gently used clothing, toys and books for free entry into the swap area, or make a $5 donation (includes a free Philly Swap bag). Upon entry in the swap, you are free to roam and take what you’d like.
- Enjoy a rest and recharge station with refurbished chairs and furniture, free iced tea, coffee and solar powered chargers.
- Pamper yourself with chair massage and natural organic treatments from Eviama Life Green Spa and Boutique, the region’s green designed and operated all natural spa in the city.
FAMILY FUN IN MOM’S Organic Market Kids’ Corner
- Healthy Snacks from MOM’s Organic Market – Kids and parents are welcome to stop by MOM’s Organic Market’s booth for free samples and healthy snacks. Kids can also pick up their FREE Greenfest t-shirts (free to the first 200 children).
- Kids Play with Clay from 10:00am to 2:00pm - The Clay Studio will be hosting a group-sculpt in the MOM’s Organic Market Kids’ Corner. Kids will be invited to sculpt small objects with traditional clay materials and put them together, creating a large group sculpture.
- Frisbee Spin Art from 10:00am to 4:00pm - Always a Greenfest favorite, Tall Pines Day Camp will be helping kids to create colorful and exciting spin art on Frisbees.
- Kid’s Yoga, time TBA - Yoga Garden will be leading a yoga class just for kids! Creative thinking, flexibility, better health, inner focus, greater concentration, improved social skills and physical strength are just some of the benefits of yoga for kids. Through interactive games and exercises, kids learn yoga postures, breathing techniques and lots more! And it’s all just plain fun!
- Rock Climb from 10:00am to 4:00pm - Kids and adults can catch climbing fever and try their hand at scaling a 25 foot rock wall.
Victory Brewing Company will be providing the beer for the Greenfest Philly Sustainably Brewed Beer Garden. Since opening the brewery in February 1996, Victory has emphasized environmental responsibility. When choosing a brewery location, they decided to rejuvenate the existing buildings of a former Pepperidge Farm factory instead of building new. Later, in 2004, Victory Brewing Company upgraded the brewhouse with a system that recovers much of the primary energy fueling it. Victory is also focused on reducing waste and recycling. As part of the brewing process Victory recycles the nearly 25,000 pounds of spent grain is generated every 24 hours through an an arrangement with a local farmer who takes this brewing by-product and feeds it to his farm animals.
Sample delicious, healthy, local and organic food from popular food trucks and local eateries.
- Farm Truck was built around knowing what is in your food and where it comes from. All produce comes from local farms, all bread from a local bakery, and the coffee is organic, fairly traded and locally roasted. Most of Farm Truck’s disposable items are either recyclable or biodegradable, and you will always find a recycling bin outside the truck. Farm Truck is involved with the community and has a strong commitment to the arts and to providing real, quality food to everybody. For more information visit www.farmtruckphilly.com
- Kung Fu Hoagies is an all vegetarian and vegan friendly food cart serving South and West Philadelphia. Hoagies, noodles and sides creatively inspired by traditional vegetarian Vietnamese food, served by friendly local Kung Fu addicts.
- Little Baby's is a hand-made, small-batch, super-premium Ice Cream and non-dairy frozen dessert company based in East Kensington, Philadelphia. We specialize in unique and surprising flavor combinations, primarily made from 16% butterfat dairy sourced from Trickling Springs Creamery in Chambersburg, PA and hand-dip them at our shops and from our small fleet of custom Ice Cream tricycles.
- Lil’ Pop Shop's unique ice pops are hand-crafted in small batches from a seasonal assortment of fresh, natural, locally-sourced ingredients. No neon or artificial ingredients or dyes are ever used in their ice pops. Just fresh fruit, sugar, herbs, spices, milk, yogurt and cream. Enjoy our pops at the shop, 265 S. 44th St., West Philly, or at our mobile cart.
- Local 215 is committed to sourcing as many ingredients locally as possible while still providing you with high quality affordable food options year round. It is their mission to extend only the freshest, most natural and unprocessed foods to our customers. Buying from local farmers not only makes their dishes delicious; it also supports our neighbors’ livelihoods. Local 215 sees fostering local businesses as a cooperative responsibility, not only for the community, but for the environment as well. This dedication to great food and good business is the core of their philosophy.
- SoomFoods will offer Soom Tahini, a pure sesame butter that is a versatile ingredient for both savory and sweet recipes. Made from roasted and pressed Ethiopian White Humera sesame seeds, Soom Tahini boasts a superior flavor and smooth consistency. Tahini is an excellent source of Calcium, Iron, Protein, Magnesium and B-vitamins. All products are made in a peanut-free facility. All of SoomFoods’ Tahini products are kosher, gluten-free, and vegan.
Other food and drink vendors will include:
* ACME Markets
* Bonjour Creperie
* Cobblestone Krautery
* The Twisted Tail
Local music is more sustainable than music that has to be shipped thousands of miles to your ears. In the Greenfest Philly spirit, Earth Jam 2014 features 4 of the most exciting emerging bands Philly has to offer. Music runs 11:00am to 3:30pm.
- West Philadelphia Orchestra: With a diverse line-up of professional Philadelphia musicians whose influences range from Sun Ra to Bulgarian brass bands, West Philadelphia Orchestra is a unique live ensemble in today’s auto-tuned musical world. As much a community as a band, WPO’s performances are celebratory events. With blistering beats and walls of brass, they inspire audiences to hold hands, dance, and slip the yoke of the homogenized culture industry.
- Ron Gallo: Ron Gallo is an ever-changing, good spirited, weirdo madman. This "arts and crafts music project" of the same name is an attempt at capturing where Ron Gallo is at any given moment. WXPN says, “Like the many great artists who presumably influenced – Dylan, Young, Nelson, and many familiar others – Gallo accomplishes the enviable feat of being hilarious and completely earnest at the same time.”
- Pine Barons: Born among the pitch pines of southern New Jersey. With a wide spectrum of influences, from classic rock to folk, jazz, and punk, Pine Barons is an amalgamation of four personalities and visions whose friendship and respect shape their craft.
- No Stranger: No Stranger is a musical chronicle of Jonathan Cooney's journey through life and his attempt to understand our time in it. His blend of acoustic finger style under an ethereal voice aims for your heart and hopes to stay.
The Green Innovators Program, sponsored by SCA, has become a highlight of Greenfest Philly. Over the past three years, 22 local emerging sustainable businesses and organizations were honored and invited to participate. Hundreds of Greenfest Philly attendees are able to engage with and learn from these businesses and organizations and then vote for their favorite Innovator at Greenfest or online at http://greenfestphilly.org/content/greenfest-philly-green-innovator-program.
The 2014 Greenfest Philly Green Innovators:
- Bike Share Philadelphia
- Climate Tracker
- Cycle Philly
- Milkcrate Philly
- The GREEN Program
Greenfest Philly is presented by Clean Air Council, with support from MOM's Organic Market, Philadelphia Insurance Companies (PHLY), PGW EnergySense, SCA, Waste Management, Zip Car, Amtrak, Aversa PR & Events, Enterprise Car Share, door door organics, Sustainable
Business Network, South Street Headhouse District, ConsolidatedSolar.net and AVRS.
Admission to Greenfest Philly is free. Attendees must be 21 and older to drink. A festival package “Green Card” is available for $30 (valued at over $55) and includes discounts on food and drink, a free Greenfest t-shirt, and other eco-friendly swag. Green Cards are on sale now at www.greenfestphilly.org. For more information visit the website, call call 215-567-4004 (ext. 102) or follow @greenfestphilly on Twitter.
ABOUT GREENFEST PHILLY
Since its launch in 2006, Greenfest Philly has been a model for producing sustainable events. The festival demonstrates its commitment to reducing environmental impact by sourcing power from two large solar powered generators, recycling and composting over 80% of waste, and providing attendees with water bottle refill stations and a complimentary bike valet. All festival exhibitors are evaluated by Clean Air Council to ensure they are providing services, information, or goods that are sustainable.
ABOUT CLEAN AIR COUNCIL
Greenfest Philly is organized by Clean Air Council, a member-supported, non-profit environmental organization dedicated to protecting everyone’s right to breathe clean air. For more information, visit www.greenfestphilly.org or www.cleanair.org.