Marlo and Jason Dilks announce the grand opening of their first organic SliCE location this coming Friday, October 28, 2016, at 431 East Girard Avenue. To celebrate the grand opening, the Dilks will give away free pizza slices on Friday between 11:00am-1:00pm and 4:00pm-7:00pm. Selections will include signature long-time favorites (like Margherita, Florentine and Truffled Ribeye) and new Fishtown exclusive pies (like The Fig, Brussels Sprout, Lemon and Fennel). One slice per person will be given out, and no purchase is required. The full food menu will be available online starting on Friday at slicepa.com.
Once formally opened, SliCE's Fishtown menu will feature SliCE's award-winning Trenton-style pizza, along with salads, stromboli, calzones, wings, donuts and desserts. Menu items will use organic, natural and hormone free ingredients, and include an expanded selection of vegan and gluten-free options. The 450 square foot BYO will offer delivery and take-out, plus offer table-service in the 20 seat dining room. The new edgier atmosphere features reclaimed woods, original art, industrial light fixtures, communal seating and warmer colors.
"We are excited to make Fishtown the home of our first-ever organic location for SliCE," said Marlo Dilks. "Fishtown has a vibrant and diverse dining scene that was perfect for our new direction. The neighborhood is also full of young families, like ours, that want healthier options. After P'unk Burger successfully launched, the time was finally right for a more natural direction for SliCE. Look for all other SliCE locations to go organic by next year."
A new organic direction for SliCE means use of organic flour, tomato sauce, produce, dressings, balsamic, olive oil, chicken (natural and hormone free), and use of non-gmo cooking oils. Gluten-free will take the spotlight with a new section of our menu using special gluten free dough. The gluten-free dough stays in the pan from start to finish, and never touches the oven surface directly.
While there are changes in the new SliCE kitchen, the same core values will remain the same. The focus will be on serving Trenton-style pie that is fresh food, not fast food. Ingredients will be sourced daily and locally from the Italian Market, Farmers' Markets and other local purveyors. Vegetables are purchased and chopped daily. Olives are pitted in house. Pepperoni is even hand cut.
Dough will be made fresh daily. It will be hand tossed and topped with the highest quality of ingredients with homemade, hand crushed tomato sauce. Pies are finished using extra virgin olive oil and baked on hot stones and cooked to a crisp, delicious perfection. The outcome is a thin, lightly topped, fragrant pie. From the Margherita Pizza with its fresh mozzarella and basil leaves to the Italiana with prosciutto di parma, gorgonzola cheese and arugula there is a taste of Italy in every bite.
Opening hours for the new Fishtown location are 10:00am-10:00pm, Monday through Sunday.
For more information, call 215-425-1555, visit slicepa.com, like "SliCE in Fishtown" on Facebook, and/or follow @slicepa on Instagram and Twitter.
SliCE in Fishtown will open with 20 varieties of pizza (including gluten-free), 14 salads, free-range chicken wings that are double-cooked in four-styles, 10 varieties of stromboli and calzones, gluten-free desserts from High Point Bakery and vegan desserts from Vegan Commissary.
- Brussels Sprout Pizza (brussels sprouts, 1732 Meats pancetta, mozzarella, provolone, balsamic glaze)
- Bruschetta Pizza (olive oil and garlic topped with mozzarella and baked then topped with cool cherry tomato salad, basil, balsamic and sea salt) (formerly a SliCE monthly special)
- The Fig Pizza (fig jam, gorgonzola, prosciutto, balsamic glaze) (gluten-free)
- Lemon and Fennel Pizza (fennel, sliced lemon, kalamata olives, ricotta, mozzarella) (gluten-free)
- Mediterranean Pizza (hummus, eggplant, avocado, red peppers, feta cheese) (gluten-free)
- Fishtown Caprese Salad (sliced tomato, basil, house-made panko crusted fried mozzarella, balsamic glaze)
- Free-Range Wings (double cooked, in SliCE sweet and hot signature sauce)
- Organic Sugar Donuts (made to order, with organic speculoos cookie butter dipping sauce)
SliCE signature favorites:
- Truffle Pizza (extra virgin olive oil, garlic, mozzarella, portobello, artichokes, white truffle oil)
- Margherita Pizza (San Marzano tomato sauce, organic fior di latte, basil)
- Truffled Ribeye Pizza (mozzarella, caramelized onions, ribeye, white truffle oil)
- Sausage and Peppers Pizza (mozzarella, provolone, Maglio's sausage, fried long hots, fried red peppers)
- Italiana Pizza (extra virgin olive oil, mozzarella, proscuitto di parma, Gorgonzola, chopped arugula)
- Caramelized Onion and Goat Cheese Pizza (extra virgin olive oil, mozzarella, caramelized onion, goat cheese, bacon)
- Mozzarella Fresca Salad (romaine, tomatoes, cucumbers, roasted peppers, organic fresh mozzarella, balsamic vinaigrette)
Highlights of 40+ pizza toppings and upgrades:
- Vegan Gourmet Mozzarella
- Vegan Sausage Crumble
- Vegan Pepperoni
- Low Fat Mozzarella
- Prosciutto di Parma
- Broccoli Rabe
- Free range chicken breast
- Fried long hots
All-natural beverages on fountain and bottles:
- Maine Root Blueberry
- Maine Root Mexicane Cola
- Maine Root Mandarin Orange
- Maine Root Fair Trade Lemonade
- Maine Root Ginger Brew
- Maine Root Sarsaparilla
- Hank's Root Beer
- Hank's Diet Root Beer
- Hank's Orange Cream
- Hank's Vanilla Cream
- Hank's Wishniak Black Cherry
- Mexican Coke
- Boylans (Various varieties)
- Organic Teas
Notable local partners include 1732 Meats, Vegan Commissary, Esposito's Meats and Maglio's.
VIBE AND DECOR:
The dining room in Fishtown is a major departure from the look and feel of other SliCE locations. The new design by Philadelphia Woodcraft Company will serve as a model for renovations coming to Rittenhouse (late 2016) and the Italian Market (early to mid 2017). The new look was inspired by the industrial and natural look of P'unk Burger on East Passyunk.
On the outside, the Art of Pizza sheet metal was removed and replaced by reclaimed wood and industrial railings. Local artists are currently working on a door mural that pays homage to the Dilks' six children (including their new twins).
Inside, the entire space was renovated from top to bottom, with the counter moved back, the dining room expanded, sheet rock torn down and new floors installed.
Various grains and tones of reclaimed woods line the walls, floor to ceiling, to one side of the dining room, as well as high above the counter. The opposite side of the room now features exposed brick revealed during construction. Modern industrial light fixtures designed by West Ninth Vintage adorn the dining room, counter and bathroom. Bright colors were all replaced with blues and warm tones. A custom-made pizza peel hangs high above the dining room tables, with other custom wood pieces to come in the near future.
A custom slab communal wooden table with benches seats up to eight on the left of the entrance. Custom-designed wooden block tables for two and four line the other side of the dining room, each with distressed red chairs.