Your pals at Sassafras (48 S. 2nd Street,
Philadelphia) in Old City District will open their doors for lunch service starting on
Monday, November 11, 2013. Pull up a
stool at Philadelphia’s “Grande Dame” of neighborhood bars for an eclectic menu
that has something for every palate. Inexpensive dishes will include award-winning
burgers, traditional fish and chips, smothered steak sandwich, perogies, salads,
soups and more. Popular local bartender
Danny McCloskey has been brought on board to serve up great conversation and a world-class assortment of
bottled beer, draft beers and wines, and a splendid selection of Single Malt
Scotches, Whiskies and Bourbon. Rumor
has it that lunch regulars may be privy to “secret” handcrafted cocktails only
available during lunch service. As
always, beloved mascot John Deer will preside in seasonal garb. Lunch will be offered Monday through
Friday, 11:30am to 5:00pm. Menu offerings average $7.95 to $9.95.
“Sassafras has built a great relationship with locals and regular visitors to the Old City District,” said co-owner Neill Laughlin. “We hope to strengthen that relationship by extending service and providing a warm, relaxing and inviting space for lunch.” Laughlin, along with co-owner Donal McCoy, have operated this 45 year old institution in Old City District for five years.
The opening menu will include specials and the following regulars:
- Burgers (sirloin, ostrich, bison, veggie) with lettuce, tomato and onion (add on Gruyere cheese, cheddar cheese, bacon and caramelized onions)
- *Smothered steak sandwich with mushrooms, onions and black pepper gravy on a long roll
- Grilled chicken club with lettuce, tomato, onion, garlic aioli and bacon
- Grilled cheese and tomato soup combo (Homemade creamy tomato soup paired with a sharp cheddar, grilled onion and apricot jam on toasted grilled sourdough bread)
- Quick lunch with half sandwich and cup daily soup
- Beer battered fish and chips with house-made tartar and malt vinegar
- Cherry pepper hummus and grilled pita
- Chicken wings (BBQ, teriyaki or signature hot sauce) with blue cheese or ranch dressing
- Potato, cheddar and jalapeno perogies with house made creme fraiche and bacon crumble
- Field green salad with julienne vegetables and lemon honey vinaigrette
- Classic Caesar salad with marinated tomatoes, herbed croutons, Parmesan (add on grilled chicken or rib-eye)
- House made sweet potato French fries with spicy ketchup or garlic aioli
- Gravy fries aka 'Loaded Fries'
- Chili Cheese Fries aka 'Fully Loaded Fries
Sassafras is the “Grande Dame” of Philadelphia’s neighborhood bars – sophisticated, timeless and classic. This old-world pub, with a twist of modern flavor, is located at 48 2nd Street, in the heart of Philadelphia’s Old City District. The small eclectic menu has something to satisfy every palate; everything from award winning burgers, traditional fish n’ chips, salads and the famous French Onion Soup. The vibe of Sassafras is like your father’s bar, but in a good way. It exudes a warm and inviting atmosphere with old-school bartenders who know how to make a drink the way it was meant to be. The bar also boasts a world-class assortment of bottled beer, ever changing list of draft beers and wines, and a splendid selection of Single Malt Scotches, Whiskies and Bourbon. Special features that immediately grab and hold your attention are the ever-popular mascot, John Deer. He can be found overlooking the bar, donning outfits that celebrate holidays and special occasions. His popularity on social media has grown and he can confidentially say he has his own legion of fans that are always abuzz about his next wacky look of the day. When guests stop chattering about John, they almost immediately turn their attention to the famous ladies room that has a mural painted by a talented artist Ali Dilworth, who also works the bar every Thursday evening.