Get all of your holiday shopping done in one place, and enjoy some seasonal dishes and sips in Old City! More than 45 participating boutiques, shops, art galleries, museums, restaurants and cafes around the neighborhood will treat visitors to special sales, discounts, promotions and menu items every Thursday in December from 5:00pm to 8:00pm throughDecember 22nd.Read More
Old City District showcases its thriving dining scene with the debut of the largest restaurant program in at least 20+ years. Old City Eats debuts June 16 and runs every Thursday through August 25, 2016 from 5:00pm to 8:00pm. Thirty-two participating restaurants and bars will offer a selection of small plates for half off, plus five dollar drink specials, off-menu dishes, seasonal cocktails and even chef collaborations. The full list of participating top philadelphia restaurants, along with their menus, is found at oldcitydistrict.org/dine/oldcityeats.Read More
Old City District presents Old City Fest on Sunday, October 11, 2015, from 12:00pm to 6:00pm, along N. 3rd Street (from Market to Race) and Arch Street (from 2nd to 4th). Activities will include a festival stage with live music, runway fashion show, design showcase installation, family fun zone, pop-up street performances and a wide array of food, beverages, art, craft and retail shopping, with 100+ Old City vendors participating. Admission is free, with food and drink pay-as-you-go. For more info, visit oldcitydistrict.org, tweet @oldcitydistrict or call (215) 592-7929. Old City Fest is produced by Old City District with support from major sponsors Xfinity, Mighty Engine, Kaiserman Company, Colonial Penn Life Insurance, More FM and Where Magazine, plus other sponsors and contributors.
Your pals at Sassafras (48 S. 2nd Street, Philadelphia) in Old City have the perfect answer to the current heat and humidity. Cool down at Philadelphia’s “Grande Dame” of neighborhood bars with unique Sassafras flavored ice cream, available in one of four beer float combinations, or as a treat on its own. They also present a new must-try dish with pretzel breaded Fried Calamari, served with a carrot, jalapeno and chili-lime dipping sauce. Both items are available this week.Read More
The fine gents at Sassafras Bar (48 S. 2nd Street, Old City) are giving you four extra reasons to day-drink during tomorrow’s winter storm. Sassafras will be open in Philly during the storm!
Stop by starting at 11:30am to preview four new hand-crafted cocktails created by lead mixologist Neill Laughlin. Mascot John Deer will be dressed in his Valentine’s finest to preside over the shenanigans! Cocktails will continue to pour for Valentine’s Weekend on Friday and Saturday.
Snow Day and Valentine’s Specials:
- Lavender Champagne -- Dried lavender will be transformed into a simple syrup, mixed with champagne, and served with a sprig of lavender. $6.00 Thursday, Friday, Saturday
- Chocolate Orange Dream Cocktail -- Stoli Orange and Godiva Dark Chocolate are topped with whipped cream and chocolate shavings. $7.00 Snow Day Special on Thursday, $9.00 Friday and Saturday</span><br></span>
- Rainbow of Love Cocktail – Dry Gin, Cointreau, chilled pineapple, orange juice and grapefruit are topped off with champagne and a strawberry. $7.00 Snow Day Special on Thursday, $9.00 Friday and Saturday
- Winter Love – Malibu Coconut Rum, White Crème de Cacao and Kahlua are topped with warmed whipped cream and chocolate shavings. $7.00 Snow Day Special on Thursday, $9.00 Friday and Saturday
In addition to the above special cocktails, Sassafras will be serving up Sassafras signature Smoking Bishops (featuring slow cooked burgundy wine with nutmeg, grapefruit studded closes, cinnamon, vanilla bean, anise, whole spice, oranges and a few secret ingredients) and items from the newly launched lunch menu. Comfort food classics popular on recent snow days have included:
- Grilled cheese and tomato soup combo (Homemade creamy tomato soup paired with a sharp cheddar, grilled onion and apricot jam on toasted kaiser bun)
- Beer battered fish and chips with house-made tartar and malt vinegar
- Burgers (sirloin, ostrich, bison, veggie) with lettuce, tomato and onion (add on Gruyere cheese, cheddar cheese, bacon and caramelized onions)
Your pals at Sassafras (48 S. 2nd Street, Philadelphia) in Old City District will open their doors for lunch service starting on Monday, November 11, 2013. Pull up a stool at Philadelphia’s “Grande Dame” of neighborhood bars for an eclectic menu that has something for every palate. Inexpensive dishes will include award-winning burgers, traditional fish and chips, smothered steak sandwich, perogies, salads, soups and more. Popular local bartender Danny McCloskey has been brought on board to serve up great conversation and a world-class assortment of bottled beer, draft beers and wines, and a splendid selection of Single Malt Scotches, Whiskies and Bourbon. Rumor has it that lunch regulars may be privy to “secret” handcrafted cocktails only available during lunch service. As always, beloved mascot John Deer will preside in seasonal garb. Lunch will be offered Monday through Friday, 11:30am to 5:00pm. Menu offerings average $7.95 to $9.95.Read More